Monday, November 9, 2009

A Tall Stiff One


Times a-wastin', and we haven't heard yet who'll be r
eplacing Diane Sawyer when she leaves Good Morning America in January. I know. I know. Some of you don't give a damn. So write your own blog. I've got a dog in this fight, and his name is Chris Cuomo.
The astonishingly non-scientific-to-the-point-of-meaningless AOL poll on the subject asked readers who should succeed Sawyer. The AOL Television article reporting the chances of the contenders argues that George Stephanopoulos is "less stiff and easier on the eyes than Cuomo." What... the... fuck? Excuse my language. I save up such words for only rare occasions of mind-boggling, inconceivable outrage. This, I assure you, is just such an occasion.
First of all, let's start with the "less stiff." Putting aside the adolescent jokes that spring to mind (as in, let me see both of them with stiffies and I'll be the judge of that), let's consider: D.C. George is never sans suit coat and tie. He's nearly always sitting behind a desk, and when he's not, he looks completely awkward, with his feet barely touching the floor in the lounge chair they use for interviews on GMA. I'm not a height queen by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm just sayin'... George straining to touch his tip-toes on the floor vs. Chris tearing out dry wall on a construction site. Whoever the hell said George is less stiff than Chris is smoking crack.
And speaking of smoking crack, let's move on to the 2nd assertion that George is "easier on the eyes" than Chris. True confession: I was in love with George from his first press conference in the Clinton administration. I would have never left the balcony of my apartment if I'd lived with Rachel and Monica and could look into George's window with binoculars. I would NOT kick him out of bed for leaving crumbs.

But let's return to planet Earth here and reconsider the proposition that the 5'6", 48 year old, skinny Greek is somehow easier on the eyes than the 6'3", 39 year old Roman god who goes fishing shirtless. You knew I was going to bring up the fishing pics, so let's just get on with it. I dare George to stand shirtless next to Chris, and let's see if we can find anyone who could, in their wildest dreams, suggest that George is easier on the the eyes. Personally, I'd lick them both from head to toe (going slowly, particularly around the middle), but I'd start with the Greek appetizer before moving onto the the Italian entree' that I'd be really waiting for.
Back to that astonishingly non-scientific-to-the-point-of-meaningless AOL poll. Despite the author's assertion that the obvious choice is George, let's re-examine the evidence. As Mediaite points out, AOL's own poll shows Chris is the readers' choice! Huffington Post's poll agrees (thanks in part to me finding every computer I can sign onto so that I can register multiple votes). And in an entirely impartial contest in my wrestling fiction, George was suplexed over the top rope in a battle royale, leaving Chris to claim the anchor seat as his prize for beating his four challengers.

So the freakshow at AOL Television needs to print a retraction, and the puppet masters at ABC News need to do the right thing, the only thing, really, that makes a bit of sense: name Chris Cuomo the new co-anchor of GMA... and then send him on assignment to a nude beach, incognito.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Funny whenever I see George Stephanopoulus' name I immediately think of the Canadian host George Stroumboulopoulos, who imho would definately give Cuomo a run for his money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't familiar with Stroumboulopoulos, and I'm pleased that you pointed him out. I'm not a big fan of "soul patches," but otherwise, he's a contender, for sure!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails