Friday, January 28, 2011

I'm the first in line to marvel at a ridiculously defined physique. The sight of striated muscle born of astonishingly low body fat can frequently send me into a swoon, all on its own. One need not be a competition bodybuilder to turn me on, by any means, but a hyperfit wrestler with musculature straight out of Gray's Anatomy of the Human Body will nearly always work for me.


Newbie Naked Kombat fighter Dragon, however, gives me pause. From a distance, I think this could totally work. He's got a washboard and nice, broad pecs. He looks handsome and hard. But up close, I'm actually a little concerned for the guy. Granted, he may be marathon runner with legitimately undetectable body fat. But I just keep thinking to myself, "This guy needs to eat more!


I've noted KL at the BG East Headquarters yahoo page often caution commenters from getting too catty with criticizing wrestlers' bodies. These guys are real people with real feelings. I'd bet my bank account that more than a handful of homoerotic wrestlers have serious body image problems, even with you and me seeing them like the Greek gods they resemble. I don't want to be catty in the least as I sit back in my armchair and comment on Dragon's physique. But I just have to say, this guy looks unhealthily skinny.


He says at the beginning of his match with DJ in this week's NK release that he's 5'10" and 135 pounds. I'm no physiologist, but a quick look at a BMI calculator says that Dragon is just barely over top of the "underweight" category (and I'd venture that he may be exaggerating his weight). Perhaps he's still in a healthy range, clinically speaking. But he looks too damn skinny!


In Dragon's match with Mr. Franchise, DJ, I seriously worry that the poor rookie is going to get snapped in half. It takes a lot to make DJ look like anything other than a (hot) skinny little scrapper himself, but relatively speaking, DJ's looking like a big, bad bully face-to-face with his somewhat freakishly skin-and-bones opponent. Dragon works hard, but this is unsurprisingly a squash. Not to spoil things too, too much, but the rookie doesn't make it out of single digits in "NK Points." To be fair, I didn't watch the whole match, so there may be more there than I'm giving it credit for. But frankly, I couldn't watch the whole thing. I had to fast forward when I found myself tempted to look up interventions for anorexics. It made me uncomfortable. When DJ climbed on for his victory lap pony ride, I found myself gritting my teeth, hoping that Dragon's pipe cleaner arms could bear the weight.


I'll bet Dragon is 110% up someone's alley out there, and both for you and for him I'm completely supportive of what it is that gets your blood pumping. But... (and I sincerely hope that I'm not sounding too catty)... please, please, feed this sincere little scrapper some more carbs, have him put on another 20 pounds of muscle and 5 or 10 pounds of unashamed fat, and then send him back out for another go. As is, he's just too damn skinny to make me anything but patronizingly worried about his health, and this doesn't make me proud to admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails