Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bill of Goods


As I've made a lot of hay passing judgment on homoerotic wrestling matches and wrestlers, Kid Leopard's words of caution from the BG East Headquarter's discussion group frequently come to mind. KL has, on more than one occasion, cautioned commenters not to turn catty as we discuss wrestler's bodies. The fine wrestlers who strip down and lock up for our entertainment are, in fact, real guys with bruisable egos, who don't sign up to have every aspect of their physiques trashed and insulted. I think there is a relatively fine line, however. Let's face it, the bodies are, themselves, major draws that make us tune in. As consumers, we pay up to be entertained, which in large part includes enjoying the appearance of wrestlers' barely clad/unclad bodies. It's hardly surprising that we have things to say about wrestler's bodies. "His ass is hot," and, "His ass is fat," come from essentially the same observational position, and frankly they may both represent about the same quantity of charitable spirit. We buy a product, and therefore we feel entitled to treat that product, including the appearance of bodies, as objects available for us to critique. Still, with KL's words playing in the back of my head like Jiminy Cricket, I try my best to stay on the respectful side of the fine line as I presume to comment on homoerotic wrestlers' physiques.


With that preamble in mind, let me just ask you: is Naked Kombat's new rookie, Cliff Jensen, what you'd characterize as a "muscle god?" NK's text teaser to get you to click through to the match characterizes this pairing as, "Huge-dicked muscle god takes on sexy stud." Sebastian Keyes is a scrappy little wrestler who fulfills my fantasy of what it would be like to see Seth Green in homoerotic combat.  I'm 100% certain that Sebastian is the "sexy stud," and not the "huge-dicked muscle god." Which means that Cliff Jensen must be the one NK is selling as the huge-dicked muscled god in this scenario.


At the risk of sounding catty, I don't buy the line that Cliff Jensen is a muscle god. Huge-dicked, okay. But muscle god? Is this the physique of a muscle god?


Let me be absolutely clear. It's not Cliff or his physique that I'm taking issue with. It's the marketing mind, casting him as the huge-dicked muscle god, that I'm quibbling with. I'd wrestle Cliff in a heartbeat. I'd spank his sweet ass (he seems to like that), and I'd fuck him (he loses but tops from the bottom, so not sure if that says more about Sebastian or Cliff), and I'd count myself as very, very fortunate for the opportunity. I'm infatuated with Cliff's ink, and in particular, his dragon tat across his right shoulder blade (watch for him in a future installment of Name That Tat!). At 6'3", he's a tall drink of water, and there's no disputing that the boy is physically fit (despite getting winded early in his debut), carrying very little body fat. I hope that I'm not coming across as catty and insulting, because I think he's a tall, sexy frat boy with plenty of potential. But I balk at characterizing Cliff Jensen as a muscle god.


I'm probably as culpable as anyone in over-ascribing godliness to certain homoerotic wrestling bodies. But when I wax hyperbolic about a physique, it tends to come from a place of nearly disbelieving awe. That body simply cannot be solely human. His face is too handsome. His proportions are too perfect. When it comes specifically to the characterization of "muscle god," I tend to picture physique stars with slabs of beef hanging off of their skeletons like a meat locker. "Muscle god," I think, requires competition bodybuilding quality muscle, thick, defined, a little freakish (though I reserve a whole different class of adoration for the "muscle freak"). I'm picturing the mountainously muscled Thunder's Arena's Conan, for example...


...or the inhumanly perfect aesthetics of classic BG East muscle man Wade Cutler...


...or even the simply gorgeous, powerful, thick, hard, veiny awesomeness of Kid Brock.


I buy "muscle god" for a lot of homoerotic wrestling physiques, frankly. There are a lot of fine works of art wrestling out there with entirely worship-worthy bodies with more than an echo of divinity built in. But Cliff Jensen's charm is just not cut from that cloth, I'd argue.


He's pretty. His long and hunky. He likes his ass spanked hard, god damn it. And for all of that (along with the stunning body art), I'm a fan of the rookie. But "muscle god?"


I just don't think so.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't come across as catty at all.

    And yea, Conan and Wade Cutler! (I can't repress this immature thrill when other people mention people I like.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails